ELM327 is the latest PC-based scan tool. It supports all OBD-II protocols and is dispatched with a number of compatible programs. The processor is an ELM327. The output protocol (connection to laptop) is RS232.
- ISO15765-4 (CAN)
- ISO14230-4 (KWP2000)
- J1850 VPW
- J1850 PWM
Output protocol: RS232
Baud rate: 9600 or 38400
Indicator LEDs: OBD Tx/Rx, RS232 Tx/Rx, Power
Operating voltage: 12V, internal protection from short circuits/overvoltages
Nominal idle current: 45 mA
- The ELM327 is designed to act as a bridge between these On-Board Diagostics(OBD) ports and a standard RS232 interface.
- The ELM327 builds on improved versions of our proven ELM320, ELM322, and ELM323 interfaces by adding seven CAN protocols to them. The result is an IC that can automatically sense and convert the most common protocols in use today. There are a number of other improvements as well-a high peed RS232 option, battery voltage monitoring, and customizable features through programmable parameters, to name only a few.
- The ELM327 requires few external components to make a fully functioning circuit. The following pages discuss the interface details, and show how to use the IC to 'talk' to your vehicle, then concludes with two schematics get you started.
- OBD-II Software for ELM327 is a free program that allows you to use your PC and a hardware interface to get the information from your car's computer.
- The program is very user-friendly, and easy to learn. It is also very easy to install:
- simply extract the files into a folder on your computer's hard drive, and you're ready to go. To uninstall the program, simply delete the entire contents of the folder where the program resides.
- The software supports two platforms - DOS and Windows.
ELM327 display current sensor data, including:
- Engine RPM
- Calculated Load Value
- Coolant Temperature
- Fuel System Status
- Vehicle Speed
- Short Term Fuel Trim
- Long Term Fuel Trim
- Intake Manifold Pressure
- Timing Advance
- Intake Air Temperature
- Air Flow Rate
- Absolute Throttle Position
- Oxygen sensor voltages/associated short term fuel trims
- Fuel System status
- Fuel Pressure
- Many others...
- Supports 12 protocols
- RS232 baud rates to 500Kbps
- Automatically serches for protocols
- Fully configurable with AT commands
- Voltage input for battery monitoring
- Low power CMOS design
EML327 free software
- GM Mode 22 Scan Tool by Terry
- OBD Gauge for PalmOS and Pocket PC by Dana Peters
- OBD Logger by Jonathan Senkerik
- OBD-II ScanMaster by Wladimir Gurskij (ScanMaster 3.52 - local copy)
- OBD2 Scantool by Ivan Andrewjeski
- OBDII for ELM322 by David Huffman
- pyOBD by Donour Sizemore for MacOSX and Linux
- RDDTC by Pete Calinski
- Real Scan by Brent Harris
- ScanTest for Pocket PC by Ivan Ganev aka a-ser
- WOBD by WDT